Monday, February 20, 2012

Reviews of a New Author: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly


As a new author of ebooks, I am coming to appreciate the complexity of reviews. Naturally, everyone hopes that people will love their work and shout it to the world, but the planet consists of many different people who have various likes and dislikes. That old adage, "You can't please all the people all of the time" certainly applies to creative art.

Some people will read your work and be on the same page as you. They get the world you are trying to create and love it. Other people read it and think you totally missed the boat and have no business writing.

My personality is one that is pleased and embarrassed by positive praise, but holds onto negative comments as if they hold more importance. Putting my writing out there has definitely been an experience. I am grateful there has been a balance of opinion. For all those who love my writing more than it deserves, I have others who hate it. Yin/Yang. Balance is good. :)

Currently (2/20/12):

On B&N more than 60 ratings and reviews. Twenty-one gave the series 5 or 4 stars and fourteen gave it 2 or 1 star, but six who hated it left comments and only one who liked it left a review.

On Apple (where they seem to only rate without comments) the series has a 3.5 rating.

On Amazon only a five comments on the first story, but 4/5 are good.

On Smashwords all reviews have been positive (it seems to be an author friendly site)

On Goodreads reviews have been positive (although only three people have rated them)

Overall, the reviews are positive. I am humbled that many readers enjoy my stories in spite of my newbie talent.

* Thank you to all who have rated or reviewed my work. For those who like it, deepest gratitude for the support and encouragement. For those who dislike my writing, your comments are beneficial as well. I am always seeking to improve my craft and your reviews help me to do that. Thank you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment