Thursday, January 3, 2013

Five Helpful Tips for Indie Authors ~ Red Phoenix

It has been a while since I posted something to my fellow indies. Frankly, I have been so busy I haven't had time to think straight. My own fault... (rolling eyes)

Here are five helpful tips after a year of writing:

Realistic Deadlines: Do not set yourself a deadline that seems doable but as it approaches, you realize you are way off and have to kill yourself to make the date. I have done that twice now. It makes the writing process...not so much fun.

Write, Write, Write: I do not procrastinate with my writing. I may move from story to story, but I am always writing. The more you write the better you become, it's a lovely process. I do, however, highly recommend having your work proofread. It was a mistake I made in the beginning and am now having to go back and fix.

Take Reviews with a Grain of Salt: Yes, those gut-wrenching reviews are to be expected (you can't please everyone), but not the harsh comments. Trust me on this one, if a review does not provide you with something you can build on - IGNORE it.

Support One Another: Some writers feel like they are in competition with each other. Hey, if you do well this little chick is happy for you! Your success does not harm me and if it is in the same genre, it may even help. Readers tend to look for similar work. Encourage each other.

Tell Your Own Story: Don't copy another author or jump on the bandwagon just because a topic is popular. Write the stories that long to burst forth from your own heart. Your words will resonate and reach others if you trust your unique voice and message.

More than anything, enjoy the journey.

 



1 comment:

  1. The timing of your post is amazing, much needed and Well received.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete