Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Danish Proofreader - Red Phoenix

Gentle Man
I will never forget the day I received this email:

My wife and I are both fans. We've been overwhelmed by your skilled writing in the Brie series and have bought every new installment.

However, for all your superb takes on mind, matter and sensitive sexuality it is a constant distraction to find so many typos slipping through.

I was wondering if you would allow me the privilege of proofreading your material to weed out such distractions. Your novels are over and beyond anything I have found for Kindle on Amazon and it would be a breeze to correct the odd - but disturbing - error.       

- Gentle Man

I laughed out loud when I read this. Leave it to a Danish professor to tell me like it is, but also bring humor to the mix. (Humor is the best way to reach this little Phoenix, BTW.)

After that email, I added him to my editing team and yes, my proofreader does not speak English as his first language. How do you like them apples? ;)  Tameika is still my talented and equally humorous content editor, but now I have an extra pair of eyes to catch those wicked grammar errors. He is an associate professor of English at a Danish university and teaches grammar for a living. Interestingly, he lived in my home state for a year pursuing a BA at a college near me. It's a small, small world.

My proofreader "Gentle Man" has saved you from reading about a 'wonton' woman. :)  His reason for helping: "My wish to proofread only and not interfere with the craft of Tameika and yourself. My aim is to help you stay in the emotions, focus on the personae and think up the story ..."

Recently, he made me laugh again after proofing Blissfully Taken. "For the first ten or more pages I felt sure that Tameika had already been over this. Further on I started to find some meaning in my life: I found a few typos.."  I just love his humor.

Gentle Man has remained true to his word. I can trust that he will save me from humiliation and spare you, my cherished readers, from distracting errors. He also provides a male's perspective. Very appreciated, as my husband is not an avid reader. Most of my male perspective comes from having observed hubby closely the last 20 years, so it is nice to have additional feedback.

As you can see, it takes quite a team to get these books out. From Tameika and Gentle Man, to my many dedicated beta readers, all play a role in improving my work. I am truly grateful.

2 comments:

  1. This was delightful. I'm not sure why but I enjoyed reading this. What a sweet letter Gentle Man wrote. It sounds to me as though you will be in good hands with Mr. Man taking care of the grammar. He sounds sensitive to your feelings, has a sense of humor, and speaks quite eloquently. Congratulations. Paula Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula,

      I totally agree with you. Thanks for the comment! Gentle Man has a way about him that is kind even though he is completely honest. The fact he mixes it with humor makes him a 10 in my book.

      I cannot believe he sought out this little indie and took pity on me by volunteering his time. Some of my grammar mistakes are quite humiliating - truly. However, he never makes me feel less for it. He just laughs with me, not AT me. :)

      ~Red

      Delete